Wednesday, August 1, 2012

An Ounce of Prevention.

It's kind of funny how when you think no one is paying attention they are. I wasn't sure anyone was reading until my Mama asked me where today's post was. Here it is almost 9pm and I'm just now sitting down to write. To be honest, I wasn't even sure what to write about. Then, like other times, it comes...that still small voice, the spark of an idea, or a thought that comes from the Lord. "Write about this...." Honestly though, my answer is as always, "but Lord, I don't even know where to go with that?" It doesn't stop there though, because there it is again, that little nudge that says "Just start writing and it will come." Remember a few days ago when I talked about how He directs our paths? Yep, it's kind of like that. So here it is, our topic for today: Rust.

Rust has been on my mind daily this week. In preparation for this move, we have been blessed with so many things. A table, chairs, and cabinets just to name a few. (I will no doubt talk about each of them individually at some point). So what's the common denominator these blessings share? They are all experiencing various stages of rust.

Rust requires three things to occur. Iron, oxygen, and moisture react and cause the unsightly corrosion we call rust. Generally, we associate rust with neglect. Like most problems we face, it's best to prevent it before it becomes an issue. Sometimes though, we acquire an item that hasn't been loved for a while. Something that is a little corroded and in need of tender loving care. I'm thinking maybe that's how we look when we come to the Lord.....sometimes we have rusting hearts.

David wrote "Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me."  Psalm 51:10

David was called a Man after God's own heart. Still he screwed up, he was human, and he got caught up in sin. In the Psalm 51 he was earnestly pleading to the Lord to remove the rust in his life. Remember what I said about prevention? Rust doesn't occur overnight. It starts small, a bubble here and there under the paint.

 In our lives it's the same. Maybe we were offended by something another person said. Maybe in the midst of temptation we thought "It's ok, to compromise now, because no one will know." Perhaps our friendships are leading us down a road we shouldn't be on, or we've simply slacked in our daily time with the Lord. Whatever it is in our lives that starts the corrosion be it spiritual neglect, sin, or unforgiveness: when allowed to continue....it's gonna rust.

Rust isn't easy to remove either. I've been doing my research and in order to restore the items I have, it's going to take work. Lots of time, and lots of elbow grease, and steel wool. Some of the rust is so bad that to remove it, it may need to be cut out. Sounds painful right? It is. When we have rust in our life it's probably gonna take a little time and maybe even some pain to remove it. If we let it go, rust will eventually bring death. The good news is that there is hope.

"When I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long. For day and night your hand was heavy upon me; my strength was sapped as in the heat of summer. Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the LORD"—and you forgave the guilt of my sin." Psalm 32: 3-5

HE IS THERE! Ready and waiting to remove the rust from our lives. That's not to say that we don't need to put forth some effort too. First and foremost we have to acknowledge the issue.We can ask the Lord to remove whatever is rusting in us and draw strength and restoration from him.

"For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord." Romans 6:23

"Therefore ... let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily hinders our progress..." Hebrews 12: 1

Once we remove the rust, it's time to cover up the bare metal. To protect from, and to prevent future corrosion we've got to have the spiritual equivalent of Rustoleum. We need the Word of God in our lives daily. I struggle with this personally, devotional time is something that I need to make more time for. I get too caught up in plans, frustrations, and little stuff that wears down my paint. I think, like the other posts so far that's what the small voice is saying to me. Working on removing the rust isn't enough. Prevention is key, and that's what the Word is there for. That's what spending time with God and developing a prayer life and relationship is about. Finding the strength to resist the problems in the first place, and help removing the things that are starting to bubble up.

"The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song." Psalm 28:7

So I ask you.....Is there rust in your life?







No comments:

Post a Comment