Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Building a Home x 2

First of all I want to say a big thank you to everyone who is reading and supporting us. I've had so much positive feedback about the blog. Your encouragement keeps me going.

I have already indicated that I'm a bit overwhelmed by all that needs to be done to fix up the trailer. In my "perfect world" we would have it all done and be able to move in before winter sets in. That is my expectation however, and may or may not be Gods plan. So I'm going to have to roll with it, and let things get done as they can be done. In the meantime, I have a job to do.

"Every wise woman buildeth her house: but the foolish plucketh it down with her hands." Proverbs 14:1

I have a house to be building. I'm not just talking about the one we are going to fix up. I'm talking about the home we are in now. Serving my family and making sure their needs are met. Making the house we have right now a home is of chief importance. I can't get caught up in the plans we have for the new house and neglect what we have. I can not allow myself to get stressed out and let it affect the comfort level in my home. My family needs a restful place to come back to as we work on the other place. Neglect is not an option.

I've seen first hand what neglect can do. Yesterday, I was so worked up with my fears and worries about what our current home needed, that I failed to see the big picture. This house has never, even on it's worst days, been as much in need of care as the one we are getting ready to work on. Even though it's years newer than the house we are in now, several things are falling apart and there is so much cleaning to be done. Every time I walk over to take stock of what needs to be done I find more that needs doing.

Yesterday I asked, "Where do we start?" I had a lot of good answers and basically it boiled down to doing one thing at a time. Today I found some motivation in this scripture.

"All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty." Proverbs 14:23

All work brings profit. Therefore, even if it's just a little at a time, we are still getting somewhere. I'm going to need to hold fast to that in the days to come. There is a lot of work to do!

Today I was drowning in all that needed to be done. The thought of keeping up my home and building another (and all that it needed) was wearing on me fast. Then, Abby and Jaden started helping pick up things here and there. They were so excited to be working on the new place. They didn't care about all the things I saw. They were excited about the skylight in the bathroom and the thought of watching shooting stars from the tub! They were bubbling over with merry hearts and it was contagious!

"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones." Proverbs 17:22

Finding the JOY, in the work is what I need. I'm going to keep praying for the strength to do it, and the motivation, time management, and merry heart I need. Right now the end result seems so far away, but I know that eventually, when we are settled in the new house and things are fixed and comfortable there. It will be worth it!

"Work is a blessing. God has so arranged the world that work is necessary, and He gives us hands and strength to do it. The enjoyment of leisure would be nothing if we had only leisure. It is the joy of work well done that enables us to enjoy rest, just as it is the experiences of hunger and thirst that make food and drink such pleasures." - Discipline: The Glad Surrender

No comments:

Post a Comment