Thursday, August 16, 2012

Do Everything...Yes, That Means Laundry!

In this house, Andy's day off means we'd better get things done while he's here to help with them. Yesterday, we used the truck to move some more things out of the trailer for my Uncle and Grandpa. We got everything out that they needed except for just a couple odds and ends. Long story short, knowing that they have what they wanted to keep, I was able to get in the house and really get to work. The four of us went over to start cleaning yesterday afternoon. The kids were so excited to help with whatever they could. I gave them rags and windex and they started on windows. We all worked on bagging up trash. So much of what is left needs to be thrown away! What I'm most excited about though, is that today is bulk trash day. We were able to take the old couch and the bed over to the road for the trash pickup today. Things already look much cleaner. In all work there is profit.

Today, the plan is to do some building here in our current home. Thursdays are Andy's longest day at work. He goes in from open to close and then after work, he has the weekly training/meetings at the fire house. We won't see him till late tonight. His one request before leaving this morning was that I work on our bedroom.

Our bedroom is the least visible in the house. By that I mean that you can't see in, from the living room or the hall. You have to actually turn the corner and go in the room. Our bed is the biggest "flat" area in the house so it's often used for folding laundry. The problem is.....this girl...doesn't like to fold. I don't mind washing and drying so much. That's simple enough. For some reason though, I just can't seem to keep up with folding the laundry and forget about ironing!

So this morning when my husband requested that I tackle our room....my mind went to the huge mountain of clothes at the foot of our bed! It's gonna take a while to fold it. Just thinking about it...ugh. Did I mention that I hate folding laundry? I would rather do just about any other household chore. The dishes don't bring as much dread as laundry. Cleaning the bathroom is almost preferable.(Abrianna cleaned our bathroom last night by the way without being asked to. Love that kid!)

So in regards to laundry...I have a lesson to learn.

"She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life." Proverbs 31:12

Ok, I'm called to be my husbands helpmate right? I should be the one making his life easier. The man doesn't complain about the laundry at all. In fact, he washes his own clothes most of the time. It's not neccessarily a "harmful" thing for him to do, but I'm sure there is a better use for his time. So I need to step it up right? My keeping the laundry done, and put away would certainly do him and the children good.

"For God is not unjust so as to overlook your work and the love that you have shown for his name in serving the saints, as you still do." Hebrews 6:10

"Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ." Colossians 3:23-24

Ok, here is a new perspective. By serving my family and getting this mountain of laundry folded (and the rest of it washed, dried, and folded) and whatever other housework needs done, I'm actually serving the Lord! I can do this laundry for His Glory! I don't even have to do it alone.

I want to share this prayer from Sharon Wheeless over at Knit Together. I love her blog by the way.

Dear Lord,
I hate laundry. I hate the noise of the washer, the endless folding, and the fact that if I don't get the clothes out of the dryer fast enough they are wrinkled. Oh, and I also hate ironing. I am bewildered when I wash, dry and fold all day and still there is more laundry to be done.
But Lord, I thank you that I have a family and that my family and I have clothes to wear. Thank you for clean water in which to wash our clothes. Thank you for the noisy machine that does most of the work for me. Thank you for the dryer that fluffs out the wrinkles when I am too lazy to yank them out fast enough. Oh, and thanks for the house we live in with its roof and its closets. Thanks for giving me just enough hard work to make me appreciate all you have given me, but not so much that I can't get it all done. Thank you for reminding me every day that all of this is to be done unto You.
Thank you, Lord for laundry.
Amen,

I'm probably going to print this prayer out and frame it near the washer. No doubt I'll need some reminding now and then. But as I'm typing this, half of the mountain has already been folded. This like any other challange is do-able. I'm gonna put on some Christian music and get back to work. We might even get some work done at the other trailer today. I'm excited.

 Finally, I'll leave you with this last reminder.... (I might need to watch it when the laundry moutain gets too big).



No comments:

Post a Comment