Thursday, August 2, 2012

Brinner Biscuits and the importance of Bread.

Supper time....It's been a few hours. I'm starting to enjoy the time afterwards. Once the dishes are done I can get some "me" time. Remember how I said that I needed more time in the Word? I'm thinking those after supper hours might be just the right time. The kids are getting ready for bed and winding down and Andy takes his turn with the laptop. I can read and think a bit. Tonight, I was reading and I thought about biscuits.

We had breakfast for dinner this evening. Brinner is what my husband calls it. I'm in need of a trip to the grocery store and the options were.....slim. That's how brinner made it's way to the table. Bacon, eggs, hash browns and biscuits were on the menu tonight because that's what was in the cupboard to make. Biscuits are a go-to meal stretcher in this house.

I love making biscuits. I use the recipe my Mama gave me. It's not really much of a recipe, just a list of ingredients that you "eyeball" to get the right amounts. I couldn't give you measurements if I tried and even though they are pretty good, I haven't quite matched my Mom's version yet.

There is something about cooking from scratch that I love. It's a feeling you get when you have dough up to your elbows and flour on your face. It's an expression of Love to me. There is truth in the old story about Mom's secret ingredient being Love. It is, and it isn't a secret at all. Love is pretty much what it's all about anyways. The scripture says:

"But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." Romans 5:8

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13

Love, especially God's love is Powerful. We know this because He sent his Son so that we might live. So that we could have eternal life. This past Sunday was Communion Sunday. Abby and Jaden, after coming to the Lord and being baptised, finally got a chance to participate in the Lord's Supper. I loved how simply the message explained to them, and to the adults present what it was all about. As children we learn that the Bread represents the Body of Christ, and we are instructed to remember.

That's what happened when I was making the biscuits. I remembered the Bread. The Body that was broken for us.

"And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst." John 6.35

Bread is a pretty big deal when you think about it. We are so richly blessed today that bread is taken for granted. Why did Jesus compare himself to bread? Simply because it's essential, bread is a staple in nearly any culture. It's a penny stretching meal that sustains us when there's no meat to be had. I read a quote in one of Christy Jordan's posts recently where she was talking about the depression and something her Grandmother had said.

“Mama always said many a family would have starved to death back
then if not for biscuits and gravy.”


The bread was their salvation. Just as bread is essential to our physical body (the preventor of starvation and death you might say), Jesus is essential to our spiritual body, the bread that nourishes our very souls. I'm never going to look at a batch of biscuits the same way again. 

The best part is, the love doesn't have to stop with our family or our church. Most cooks I know tend to make just a bit too much and there is always enough to share. I'm always delivering biscuits to someone when I make them because we always have extra. In the same way, God wants us to share the Bread of Live by sharing the Love of Christ. We don't have to worry about running out of Bread. There is always enough. He's up to his elbows in biscuit dough waiting to feed the hungry masses. We just have to invite them over for Brinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment