Sunday, September 23, 2012

Testing, Testing.....

I feel like it's been forever since I last posted. It's been 12 days. My oh my, how much can happen in that short amount of time? Where shall I start? Today is one of those days when I'm sitting down without a clue what to blog about. I just know that I need to do it. I need to keep this up...and I need to share what God is doing for us. Tomorrow will make 6 months that Andy and I have been married. It's been amazing so far and we are so blessed. That doesn't mean we haven't shared a bump or two in the road. Our biggest struggles have been blending our family and finances.

Finances...I thought that I had it pretty much covered. I mean, I've done ok for the kids and myself in the past. It's always been a struggle but we got by, God has always provided our needs, and I shouldered a lot on my own. In the past I've been burned a lot when it comes to money, so letting go and letting Andy take the lead has been hard for me. He took on so much when we married and he has never let us down as a provider. He does worry. Right now, we are paying more out in bills than either of us has ever done. The amount may seem minuscule to some, but to us, it's a big deal. Andy's paycheck covers the major bills, but we had nothing left over. We've been praying for a breakthrough with my job situation. Something had to give.

A few weeks ago, during one of our discussions about finances (which seem to be at least 10x a day now), I brought up the topic of tithing. At the time, the idea of putting in 10% almost seemed impossible. Andy was so stressed and worried about how we were going to make our finances work. So I asked how he felt about giving 10% and explained that it's the only place in the bible where God says that we can test him. (Not that we need to test God to know that He is good!)

Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.
                                        Malachi 3:10
 
So, we decided to try it. This week something happened. I got a call to work as a long term substitute. A huge blessing in itself. Even though we aren't sure how long I'll be in this position it's a break for us and I've been promised at least a few weeks of work, possibly the rest of the school year. It's not going to be easy, it's probably going to be the most challenging position I've had yet. I'm going to need to rely on God more than ever before for physical and mental strength. We are so excited though.

The next thing that happened was we were offered a deal that will allow us to purchase a family vehicle at a price and monthly payment amount we can handle. About a month ago, Andy and I had talked about buying it, but we just couldn't find a way to get the extra money to buy it straight out or even to put a down payment on it. I'm so excited about how much we have seen God's blessing pouring out in our life. It can only get better.

I'm not saying that by tithing we're gonna get rich etc. No not at all, I do believe that the more we trust God with our finances, the more secure we will be. My prayer is that the Lord will continue to teach us about stewardship, giving, and trusting him to provide what we need. There's no need to worry, if we worry about bills and money..then we probably aren't doing it right.

Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
                                                                   Matthew 6:8
 
 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
                                                                    Philippians 4:6  

2 comments:

  1. I needed this today... as money seems extra tight this month and Robert and I have been discussing our finances as a married couple once we are married next month. We both have been able to provide for ourselves, so one just assumes that we will still be able to manage.. but when you really look at combining incomes and bills it'll be tight.. we should be stable, but we won't be rich... Robert reminds me all the time to let God provide... and I was reminded as he just told me the small amount of money he has left to live on this week until payday and yet he still wrote out his 10% tithe...So thankful I'm marrying a Christian man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your sub position! That is great news! I hope it leads to more and more opportunities for you!

    ReplyDelete