Saturday, September 1, 2012

An A+ in Kindergarten Doesn't Mean a Girl Won't Need a Little Help Sometimes.

Have you ever been told that you are smart? Of course you have! We've all been praised by teachers, parents, etc at some point or another. We all know what it means to be smart, intelligent, quick witted....whatever you want to call it. Being smart is a good thing, but at the same time it can be a lot of pressure.

I've felt the pressure from kindergarten on. Being labeled as "smart" meant I was expected to have good grades, do well, excel in school, make good choices. Whenever I made a bad choice (and there have been a few) I heard the same thing from everyone "Ann, you're too smart for that!" WAIT a minute though! Whoever said that being intelligent meant you were gonna make good choices? So what's the deal? What else does a smart girl need besides "smarts?" The answer is WISDOM!

It's totally possible to be smart without wisdom. It doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with you, just that there is always room to grow. We are constantly learning from experience, and there are so many things that just aren't taught in school. That includes most of the necessary knowledge needed to be successful as an adult...finances and budgets, parenting, major life choices, and marriage just aren't covered. In the midst of everyday life all of these things seem to crash in around you. When the plate is full you have to figure out what to tackle first and how to balance it all without disaster.

Right now...Andy and I have so much on our plate that wisdom is something I really need. Honestly, I'm crying out for it for both of us. We need direction, and the good judgement that only comes from following God's plan for your life. So I've been reading a little about wisdom and how to find it.


In the bible we read about Solomon, and how when he was given the option to ask for anything from God, he asked for wisdom to be able to lead Israel the way God wanted it to be done. As a result, Solomon was granted wisdom as well as being the richest and most respected king of his time. Not a bad deal and if Solomon can ask God for wisdom, why can't I? I'm not saying I expect the same results. As far as I know God hasn't directed me to rule over a country, but I am called to be a home maker. To keep and guide my home in the ways of the Lord. Andy and I have the responsibility of caring for what we have, making decisions, and raising our children God's way. So why not ask, right?

Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. Mark 11:24

I can ask, and I believe that God will answer that prayer, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to get wisdom by sitting around hoping it soaks in like sunshine warming the ground.

For whoever finds me [Wisdom] finds life and receives favor from the LORD. But whoever fails to find me harms himself; all who hate me love death. Proverbs 8:35-36

blessed is the man who finds wisdom, the man who gains understanding, for she is more profitable than silver and yields better returns than gold. Proverbs 3:13-14

Notice that the Proverbs say "Whoever FINDS wisdom." To find something...you have to look for it as well as ask! To find wisdom, we must seek it in the Word of God and in Prayer.
My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee;
So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding;
Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding;
If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures;
Then shalt thou understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God.
For the Lord giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding. Proverbs 2:1-6
Wisdom is gift that God wants us to have. He wants us to come to Him and seek his direction for our lives.
If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. James 1:5

Every day I'm learning more about the Lord and more about His plan for us. It's so exciting to see that, even though right now we have so many physical needs that it's hard to see past them, God is doing something great in our lives! That's just how God works. When we seek him, we will find the most incredible changes occur in our lives. Solomon didn't ask for wealth, or fame but it came along with what God wanted for his life. I don't know everything God is planning for us, I just know that whatever that plan is...it's beyond what I could imagine. I also know that God has promised us something special. (I'll probably share at a later date). I'm just so excited about where things are going...God is Good.








No comments:

Post a Comment