Friday, April 11, 2014

An Amazing Promise: Ivy's Birth Story

It's time to do this. Because time... it passes quickly. Life gets busy and in the blink of an eye you realize ten months have passed. Minutes and moments fly by and you wonder, "Will I be able to remember it all?" Probably not, but I'll share what I do remember. Ten amazing months! Amazingly blessed with our little love Ivy. It's time to share our story. Time to share how God orchestrated this beautiful blessing in our life, and how her voice completes the harmony in our home.


This is the Story of Ivy Lucille


 I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I never imagined I'd be blessed with another baby. Life and the mistakes along the way had me on a path where the possibility of being a Mother again seemed so distant it was unreachable. Guess what? God knew my heart. He knew that longing deep within for another child to love, and more importantly, for a wonderful man to share my life with. Three years ago, I had neither. I may be a procrastinator. My timing is usually terrible, but God? Yeah, God's timing is always, ALWAYS perfect!

Most people reading this will already know that God placed Andy in our lives at the perfect time. He's a wonderful father for Abrianna and Jaden. He's the love of my life and the man God ordained to lead our home. He too, had a desire to have a baby. Shortly after our marriage in March of 2012 we started talking about a baby.

We started trying in August of 2012. On September 27, 2012 I met Andy at the fire station with 2 positive tests in my pockets. About 10 minutes after I shared the news that we were expecting, he and I saw the most beautiful full rainbow. It was a sunny day with no rain. The world defines a rainbow as "an arch of color formed in the sky under certain circumstances, caused by the refraction and dispersion of the sun's light through rain or water droplets in the atmosphere." God defines it as a PROMISE. 

What a beautiful promise too! It was His promises that carried me through when fear snuck in and when I couldn't hold down anything. My pregnancy was  physically difficult, but I was blessed to have a wonderful network of friends who pointed me towards the Father when I felt low.

My pregnancy was defined as high risk. As a result we had the opportunity to witness God's amazing creation of life from the beginning. I remember how frightened we were one night when I began bleeding and the rush of relief upon seeing our little one doing somersaults on the ultrasound at 12 weeks gestation. From then on we had several ultrasounds. One of my favorite images is of Ivy's hand when I was about 5 months along. 


So, lets get to the part you've been waiting for shall we?

An Amazing Birth Day


Due to complications my second child was born by Cesarean. There was a possibility that those same complications could re-occur when it came time for Ivy to be born. We were advised that a second cesarean might be the best option. My hearts desire was to have a successful VBAC and give birth naturally. My doctor would only consider a trial of labor if everything went well. We prayed and diligently went to the hospital at least twice a week for monitoring in the last 10 weeks of my pregnancy.

At my 39 week appointment it was time to discuss the options. If I went past 40 weeks the doctor would feel less and less comfortable with a trial of labor. We could schedule a c section or induce. Still praying and believing that I would have a VBAC we scheduled the induction for my due date.

On May 29, 2012, Andy and I went to the hospital and got settled in for our last night before having the baby. In the morning, the doctor arrived and we went over how the induction would proceed. Then they started the pitocin drip. It didn't take long before I was having contractions. At 9 am the doctor returned and decided to break my water. Then the contractions got intense!

I had planned on an epidural. For me, it was a good choice because should the trial of labor end in Cesarean I didn't want to be put under general anesthesia. I wanted to be there, to be present and enjoy the birth of my last baby. I wanted it to be a great experience for Andy as well. So, while we waited for an epidural we listened to Klove. I wanted to put my trust and focus on God when the pain came. The plan was to listen to songs and focus on them.

 What actually happened though was quite different. Each time a contraction began the words of Psalm 23 began to scroll through my mind.

The Lord is my Shepherd
I shall not want
He makes me lie down in green pastures
He leads me beside still waters
 He restores my soul...

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
I will fear no evil
For You are with Me

What a comfort. I'll confess at times I felt like and nearly thought I was dying. When those words came to mind I knew I wasn't alone. 

We turned off the music. I didn't need it. Around 11 am my Mom arrived with Abrianna, Jaden, and my brother Josiah. I wanted them there. They were as much a part of this as anyone else and I wanted them to be there with me during labor and to have the opportunity to meet their baby sister as soon as she arrived. Right after Mom and the children arrived, the nurse came in to tell us that the anesthesiologist was there to administer the epidural. Once that was over, everyone came back in and I was able to chat with the kids. 

I'm so glad they were there. Abrianna was such a good little labor coach. She stayed close to me, gave me ice and held my hand during contractions. At 5 pm, I didn't even realize that I was in transition until the nurses came into the room and told me to roll onto my left side because the baby was having heart deceleration. They checked and sure enough it was go time! 

As soon as the doctor arrived we were ready to go. Josiah took the little kids to the waiting area and I was told to start pushing. This required a whole new level of concentration and focus. Make it or break it, if she wasn't born soon we would be going to the OR. One of the things that I had wanted during my pregnancy was for the baby to have a birth song. My plan had been to make sure music was playing when it was time to push. Whatever was playing when she was born would be her song. Um, yeah in that moment the last thing I thought about was turning on the radio. I didn't have to though. Wanna know what was on repeat in my head? 





20 minutes of pushing. It felt like forever at the time. That anxiousness. Waiting to see her for the first time. Feeling so spent, so out of control, and so very much in need of the Lords help and presence. What a perfect song for Him to place in my heart at that moment! "Lord, I need you. Oh I need you, Every Hour I need You..."

20 minutes of pushing and there she was at 5:23 pm without the need for a C-section. Praise God!  7 lbs 2 oz and 20 inches long. She was so beautiful, so worth every minute, every tear, every prayer, every moment of waiting.....the beginning of a new and wonderful adventure. 





.

and now...










1 comment:

  1. Such sweet and blessed memories, Ann <3 Praise God that He knows our most deep desires and enjoys giving them to us!
    Amanda Hitz

    ReplyDelete